Sunday, February 25, 2024


 BOOK REVIEW:  The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

The Little Prince, a classic and helps me to fulfill my goal of reading a classic a month for this year.  

I have a very sweet memory of a piece of needlework that my mom gifted me many years ago. The most remembered quote in the book: 

“It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” 

This is a fantastical fable differentiating children and adults.  Adults lose their childlike wonderings, questions and ramblings which tends to make them uninteresting and boring.  I believe that I could read this little book and peel a layer each time revealing something that resonates each time.  Being my first time to read this… I remember the discussion between an adult and The Little Prince.  The Prince related the questions we might ask a child about a friend would be “What color is your friend’s hair?” and “What kind of work does your friend’s dad do?”  Not the interesting type of questions, “What does your friend’s voice sound like?” or “Does he collect butterflies?”  I love this!  When I carry my granddaughter to and from school, friends is a topic of conversation.  Next time, instead of my usual boring questions, I think I will ask, “What games does he/she like best?” 

This is a sweet little read, with lots of room for rich discussion.  I will reread it… maybe soon!  This would also be a great little book for seminaring (similar to a book discussion but stays on track, no wondering/wandering/dreaming… hmmm… the act of seminar might go against the grain…  this the theme of this book), a teaching strategy that is utilized with great works.  

3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment