Sunday, May 31, 2009

Words & Herbs!

I learned a new word today. (Thanks, JM!)  Bloggable!  I love that... Here is another made-up word from last year's Youth Writers' Camp, "googleable" or "googlable"?!   I wonder how words are added to the dictionary?  If someone just begins using a word, and it catches on... then does it become a useful word?  I wonder if a certain number of people have to use the word?  Or does it have to be used across the country?  I think the most recent new words have been technology-based.  Old words still have value and meaning...

I removed irises from my herb garden this weekend.  They had taken it over!  So now my garden is all herbs.  The herbs in my garden are as follows: rosemary, thyme, oregano (two varieties), basil (two varieties; one a French Basil, really!  seeds are from FRANCE!), feverfew, chocolate mint, cilantro, sage, parsley(two varieties) and chamomile.  I have been pondering all weekend about my little herb garden.  I was thinking about a theme-garden.  As I was perusing an herb book and internet, I saw all kinds of themes from nursery rhyme gardens to healing gardens.  In one of my books I found some words that herbs represent!  For instance, rosemary represents "remembrance".  Then, in a former-student's Facebook status, I saw a quote that I fell in love with; "often we run from the purging and pruning, forgetting the gardener knows- that the deeper the cutting and trimming, the richer the cluster that grows."  It is from a very long poem out of a devotional book, Streams in the Desert.  Well, this afternoon my theme idea blossomed!  Words & Herbs!   I like that very much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment